Located on the site of "Qing Hua Yuan" in Haidian District, Beijing, Tsinghua University was founded in 1911, formerly known as a royal garden of Qing Dynasty. The campus is famous for its beautiful surroundings embraced by shady trees and time-honored architectural complexes with different features and styles, in which "Shui Mu Qing Hua" has a long history of reputation. It is listed as one of the 14 world's most beautiful college campuses by Forbes Magazine in 2010, the only one from Asia.
Tsinghua University is one of the leading universities directly affiliated with the Ministry of Education of China. It is among the list of the Key Universities in both the National Projects 985 and 211, and also the prominent center for higher education and scientific research. The university holds the largest numbers of academicians affiliated with the Chinese Academy of Science and the Chinese Academy of Engineering, of the top disciplines on the whole, of the Key National Laboratories, of national awards in science and technology, of research funds, and also of articles indexed in SCI, EI and ISTP over the years. More than 70% of the top 10 students of sciences and 30% of the top 10 students of liberal arts from the provinces in the National College Entrance Examination in China have chosen Tsinghua University for their undergraduate study.